Monday, July 17, 2017

Farrell J. Carney (1954-2011)

Farrell J. Carney (24 May 1954 - 11 May 2011) born in Boyle, County Roscommon, Ireland; died in Columbia, Howard County, Maryland.

I'm assuming this is the same guy. He was from Elphin, Ireland. A friend, co-worker, fellow drinker. In fact, I tell people he taught me how to really drink. He once jumped from a perfectly good airplane with a parachute on, tried to kill himself in the fall, and broke a leg — much complicating his job as construction supervisor (with me being one of the supervised, and his driver).

We managed a sort of boarding house together my junior year in college. He owed me money much of the time. A fellow boarder, Sean, was drinking himself blind drunk, falling down stairs and not remembering it. I would go in and find his bottle of vodka and toss it out.

When I encountered Sean a few years later, in the same city but sober, he told me the last time he'd run into Farrell he'd asked how Sean got sober (as if recognizing the need for it himself).

County Roscommon, Ireland

No comments: