Sunday, June 19, 2016

Get Her to Sing "Julie"

If not for a Devon Sproule fan who sat by himself at the closest table to the tiny corner stage at Little Grill Collective,* I might have missed an amazing musical experience.

I took him to be a James Madison University student. Where or how he first heard the song, I don't know, as it was not yet released.**

When Devon asked for requests, this intensely-focused fan shouted out "Julie!"

Having never performed it live, his request posed a bit of a challenge. Devon turned her back on us for a moment, gathering the lyrics and chords.

When she turned back, she gave what was for me a transformative musical experience, like being at the Dawn of Music — like watching All of Music being created right before me.

I have since been the intensely-focused fan shouting out "Julie!" when I get to see Devon Sproule live.

Having finally listened to the recording of the song on  Don't Hurry for Heaven,*** I can say you must hear it live to get the full effect.

Go see Devon Sproule, and shout out "Julie!" You're in for quite a musical experience.

*on July 6, 2007.
**she wrote the song based on a letter sent to a radio station, responding to some sort of on-air contest.
***which I purchased at a house party in Hartland, Vermont on May 17, 2016 (and listened to over-and-over again till I wore out the CD).

No comments: