Friday, June 08, 2007

Little Grill: June 6, 2007

fireworksIn honor of Walt Whitman's birthday the previous week--which neither I nor anyone else properly commemorated--I read 'O Captain! My Captain!', making the proper references to the film Dead Poets Society (1989) where it plays a prominent role in Robin Williams' efforts to inspire his private school students with poetry.

It seems highly likely that many today would not have heard of Mr. Whitman without modern-day reference in a film.

At the urging of M.C. Chris Howdyshell to do some of my 'stuff' (see how they beg me?) I then read 'Your Hug' and another 'sentence poem', 'Did You Know?'.

I'd come prepared to read my sonnet on Walt Whitman, seeing that it was indeed ready for a public airing, I just didn't feel the need in the moment to do so.

No comments: