Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Archangel

After writing some fifty song lyrics, in several varieties and genres, I've finally performed one of them live in front of an appreciative audience.  "Lonesome Mountain Blues", from my bluegrass set, seems to have hit a chord.  Actually numerous ones, according to my guitarist, Paul Young, but I don't really understand that sort of thing.


Paul's the genius behind the Young Brothers (at least he's the eldest of three, so I have to say that about him).  He took to my lyrics like some sort of avenging musical angel.  I gave him the URL for the lyrics one Sunday morning, rather serendipitously encountering him on a sidewalk by my home.  On the way out I'd just grabbed a notebook for entering his e-mail address, something I'd forgotten to do in numerous previous discussions about how one day were were going to have to "get together" over my lyrics and make ourselves hugely famous.  So of course I run smack into him.


You see, he lived directly across the street from me.  See the Hand of Destiny?


He looked at the lyrics, and it was "freaky", he says:  he had a recording down on tape a couple of hours later.  Kind of like "The Day God Invented Bluegrass".


His middle name is Michael, which is my first name.  It means "who is like God" in Hebrew (and Michael was one of the archangels).  The musician who got me started writing lyrics (and poetry, if truth be told) was also there.  His middle name is Michael, as is his father's (but he goes by it anyway).


Immediately upon arrival "Hank", a "bones" player (old-timey percussion) started up a conversation, hitting on a number of common elements (Georgetown University, WHFS, old-time music, etc.)  He said something freaky had happened that night.  "See that guitarist up there?  I haven't seen him in 30 years.  That's the last time we played together.  And he shows up here tonight."


The guitarist's name?  Michael.


See I used to listen to the mandolin player's band in Charlottesville, Virginia years ago at a place called Michael's Bistro (they named it for me, but before I even got to town).  That's where it all started for me, where I got back into bluegrass music, where I got the whatever it takes to start writing lyrics and poetry.


So last night at Tiffany Tavern in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, it all came together.  At least five musicians said they liked "Lonesome Mountain Blues"; remarkable considering it's the first of my songs I've performed, and the first time we performed it for anyone.  And the barmaid asked me to marry her.


(One of the above statements is untrue.  See if you can guess which one.)


Soon I'll be living an Elton John existence, dripping in gold jewelry.  I'll have my own float in the parade, and I won't be speaking with the Little People anymore.


Thank you Ben Hulan and Sugar Grove for making this possible.

No comments: